Protected Distribution Systems and Physical Networks:
The protection of information technology networks is a priority both within the private sector and branches of the U.S. Military at the Department of Defense (DOD). Ensuring that national security information is never compromised forms the basis for all network communications security initiatives. It is widely known that the fiber-optic or copper cables that form network backbone raceways are vulnerable to intruders that might physically tap into their data streams.
When deployed in parallel within a network conduit, embedded in a carrier, or used to physically protect passive optical networks (PON), the Fiber SenSys Alarm Processor Unit (APU) is the core component used to alarm the network conduit or the raceway. The APU, as the integral part of the SecurLAN® network protection model, enables a network carrier system to meet the DOD requirements for Protected Distribution Systems (PDS), a government requirement for physical protection of classified network data.
It has been demonstrated and verified that SecurLAN solutions are offered at the lowest cost per zone in the industry. The products have also been approved and certified for the protection of the PDS, and are compatible with all varieties of network architectures, including secure passive optical networks (PON).
The SecureLAN System:
- Provides instant notification of unauthorized access, tapping attempts, and accidental intrusions
- Provides multiple alarm notification options and can provide positive network shutdown of the affected protection zone when combined with FSI optical cutoff switches
- Makes protecting DOD networks cost-effective
- Enhances security through multiple annunciation and network communications capabilities
- Eliminates the need for visible inspection requirements when securing a PDS. Network raceways can be concealed above the ceiling or below the floor.
In the context of classified DOD networks, Protected Distribution Systems (PDS) is a system of carriers (conduits, ducts, etc.) that are used to distribute Military and National Security Information (NSI) between two or more controlled areas or from a controlled area through an area of lesser classification (i.e. outside the SCIF or other similar area).
National Security Telecommunications and Information Systems Security Instruction (NSTISSI) No. 7003, Protective Distribution Systems (PDS), provides guidance for the protection of SIPRNET wireline and optical fiber PDS to transmit unencrypted classified National Security Information (NSI). SecurLAN is an approved and certified solution for the PDS "Alarmed Carrier."